You are here: Home Admission Visa and health insurance
Document Actions

Visa and health insurance


EU citizens and citizens from some other countries as e.g. Australia, Canada, Honduras, Island, Israel, Japan, Liechtenstein, Monaco, New Zealand, Norway, the Republic of Korea, Switzerland and the United States do not need a visa. Students of other nationalities must apply for a visa for study purposes via the German diplomatic representation in their home country. It is very important that you do not under any circumstances travel to Germany on a tourist visa, as such a visa cannot be converted into a visa for study purposes, whilst you are staying in Germany.

For detailed information, please refer to the German embassy in your country of residence.


Health Insurance

To be able to enroll, you must take out a health insurance policy. Students in Germany currently pay a fixed rate of about EUR 91 per month for health insurance, regardless of which insurance company they choose. International students from countries with which Germany has a Social Security Agreement including an insurance clause (e.g. EU and EEA countries) may remain insured in their home country, but have to provide proof of health insurance ("European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)") to gain exemption. Students may also purchase a package deal insurance, e.g. from the DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service). This package deal includes health insurance, personal liability insurance and accident insurance.

For further information, please refer to the website of the Studentenwerk Freiburg.  For the DAAD package, consult www.daad.de/en


Personal tools